It’s been a week full of surprises and World War 1.
Addios Amigo, You Were a Good Friend
First, on Monday Buttercup discovered the horse she’d become attached to died.
Amigo was a very sweet horse she’d bonded with. He wasn’t ours, but she had been riding him almost every week since last September. When she would walk near the coral, if he wasn’t already tied up, he’d see her come up and walk over. She truly adored that horse. Through unforeseen circumstances, Amigo became ill and passed away. It was a shock to everyone associated with the ranch. This week will be interesting. She’ll be assigned a new horse.
The rest of our week was consumed with The Mystery of History lessons. We covered World War 1 and the turn of the 20th Century.
- Helen Keller
- Albert Einstein
- Karl Marx
- The South Pole Discovery
- World War 1 Causes
Fascinating Facts include:
- Helen Keller acted out on purpose in order to get attention
- While working in the Swiss Patent Office, Einstein began to develop his famous theories
- During our discussion on Marx, we learned the difference between capitalism, socialism and communism & that he was an atheist (this segued into a conversation on the current presidential candidates)
- There were two separate parties who raced to discover the South Pole first
- World War 1 was caused by many, many issues & Hitler was part of the group who refused to partake in the Christmas Day truce
Movies We Enjoyed
- Eight Below: The late Paul Walker stars in this movie. He protrays a sled dog leader who is determined to save his team from a storm. We really like this one. Probably will purchase it.
- I.Q.: This was a fun movie. It’s the fictional story of Albert Einstein’s niece. Walter Mathau gives an awesome performance as Einstein. This one made us laugh.
Movies That Missed the Mark
- God Does Not Play Dice: I wanted to like this, but it started out extremely strange. Buttercup and I became creeped out by the strange “hissing angel.” We just didn’t understand what was going on, so we turned it off. It could have made sense if we continued watching, but it wasn’t worth the risk.